Tuesday, April 16, 2013

13 Reasons Why Movie

I recently went to the teen lit conference in Denver and Jay Asher was one of the keynote speakers. (Side note, he's  really cool and I liked him) During his speech he said he was talking to Selina Gomez about adapting his book 13 Reasons Why (or Th1rteen R3asons Why) into a movie (with Gomez as Hanah). I'm not interested to see any book as a movie, I just don't see is as necessary, but I'm really pessimistic about this one. The story telling style is what makes the book so great, how would they translate that? The shift between Clay and Hanah is signified by italics and normal. How would they show this in the movie? I guess some pro director could figure it out, but it could easily be messed up. Its also a really emotional novel, which is easy to portray in the written format; you just tell the readers how to feel, but if you watch a person, the viewer may not see all the emotions. 

No comments: